Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Suttum Vizhi Chudardhaan

There are some songs, lines, verses or words that create magic in you irrespective of how many times you may have heard them or say/sing them... For someone I know, it is saying the word "Kannamma". For someone else I know, it is hearing the magical word... and this song below... I don't think there has been a poet as great as Bharathi. There will never be one. He was one of a kind.

Here is one song that has never failed to move me...

suttum vizhichchudardhaan kaNNammaa sooriya chandhiraro

vattak kariyavizhi kaNNammaa vaanak karumai kolloa

pattuk karuneelap pudavai padhiththa nal vayiram

nattanadu nisiyil theriyum natchaththirangaLadi

Is that sparkle of the eyes the dual light? Is that black sphere the dark night? Your indigo saree with diamonds sown Are they the stars that night has shown?

soalai malaroLiyoa unadhu sundharap punnagaidhaan 

neelak kadalalaiyae unadhu nenjin alaigaLadi 

koalak kuyiloasai unadhu kuralin inimaiyadi 

vaalaik kumariyadi kaNNammaa maruvak kaadhal koNdaen 

The halo from the wild flower, is that thy smile my lover? 

The waves that the sea does hold, are they thy bosom's sweet fold? 

The cuckoo's sound of soulful note, in thy voice sweet does it float? 

A maiden like a budding grove, Kannamma I have fallen in thy love. 

Saaththiram paesugiRaay kaNNamaa 

saaththiram aedhukkadi? 

aaththiram kondavarkkae kaNNamaa 

saaththiram uNdoadi? 

mooththavar sammadhiyil vadhuvai muRaigaL pinbu seyvoam 

kaaththiruppaenoadi idhu paar kannaththu muththam onRu 

Of rules do thee to me speak 

Do rules stand for passion's peak? 

Later I shall do the laws elders seek. 

How shall I wait? Here, a kiss on thy cheek

Kannamma: "Kan" in Tamil means eye and Kannamma is the darling who is as precious as the eye or 'the apple of my eye' --Extracted from Arvind Iyer's blog



This is one song that shall break all barriers of language and enchant the listener...

No comments: